Name:
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, United States

I am a storyteller. I write short stories, novels, and screenplays. None of them have been published yet, but I'm getting closer all the time. My uncle is a novelist, my friends are novelists and other media professionals. I am just getting ready to get some stuff out the door. I plan to be a publishing author within the next ten years. I HAVE published articles in magazines in the past, so I plan on keeping that going. It is time. A new update: I completed the first draft of the screenplay. Now to let it sit six weeks.

Thursday, February 01, 2007

The Move is done! Can I get back to work now?

Arg! Moving sucks! It has totally screwed up my writing schedule. And we still have unpacking to do. But I'm hoping that time will stretch a little better now. We got all of our stuff out of the old place, but the normal dirty moving stuff is left. We didn't leave the old apartment filthy, just very cluttered. But hey, we already told the old landlord that he could keep our deposit to improve the place. He was kind of a lousy landlord anyway. Great guy as a person, but a lousy landlord. He and his wife really should just sell the place and get out before too many more things need to be repaired.

So, I'm hoping that, now the move is over, I can get back into my pattern and schedule for writing. I miss it. I would get up, stretch, read my scriptures (have to give BIG DAD his due so he will let me have a little bit of success in my writing, that was my agreement with Him), and then write for five pages or until it's time to go to work, which is still quite early. But usually I get three to five pages written in that time. I'd like to re-establish that pattern.

My first priority is to take care of my wife and kids, that means get up early and go to work. And, if I can ever get to bed again at a half-way-decent hour, get up while they're all asleep so I can write without interruption. It sucks, but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make for them. My wife comes first. Then my kids. And keeping my job takes care of their temporal needs. Then I ask for my time to write and thus take care of myself. I write because I have to. But art serves life, not the other way around.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home